Role Title: Programmes Officer for South Sudan
Organisation: Jesuits Eastern Africa Province (AOR)
Location: Juba, South Sudan (with travels to Wau, Rumbek, & Cueibet)
Duration: 3 years
Reports to: AOR Director of Development
Preferred start date: February 2020
The Society of Jesus (aka Jesuits) is a Catholic religious congregation of Priests and Brothers who come together for the service of humanity especially those in most needy. Jesuits work in administrative regions and provinces. The Jesuits Eastern Africa Province (AOR) whose head office is in Nairobi, Kenya has apostolic works in South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia. In South Sudan, the Province runs Loyola Secondary School in Wau, St. Teresa Parish and St Peter Claver Ecological and Computer Centre, both in Rumbek, MAJIS School Farm in Akol Jal, and Mazzolari Teachers College in Cueibet. Each work is firmly rooted in the Jesuits Eastern Africa Province Apostolic Plan (2017-2021). This plan prioritizes formal and informal education at various levels to empower beneficiaries for change, by adopting the pedagogy of social justice and social transformation. Presently, South Sudan is experiencing extreme under-development as a result of decades of civil wars and systematic marginalization by successive northern governments. The crisis of governance since independence has also contributed to the deterioration of many institutions that should ordinarily serve the needs of the people. The gap is currently being filled by the NGOs and Church Based Organisations (CBOs). Sudan is a country in the early stages of development simultaneously experiencing a complex and protracted humanitarian crisis.
The Eastern Africa Province has identified South Sudan as a priority area and in need of consolidated approach in order to respond more effectively to the multiple local needs. The Eastern Africa Province projects in South Sudan are partnered with the Xavier Network, which is a network of 13 Jesuit Mission Offices and NGOs in Europe, Canada and Australia. The Programmes Officer for South Sudan will be responsible for animating and overseeing the running, monitoring and development of the Eastern Africa Province projects in South Sudan, including those supported by the Xavier Network members.
1. Support projects throughout the project management cycle
2. Coordinate Xavier Network and AOR Province responses to some of the needs in South Sudan
3. Assist Project Directors in the field to identify needs within their apostolic works.
4. Assist Project Directors in the planning and formulation of project proposals and applications for funding from partners.
5. Assist Project Directors to ensure that the proposals and budgets are submitted on time as per partner requirements.
6. Ovesee projects implementation to ensure that projects are implemented within their budgets.
7. Ensure all projects are supported by appropriate contracts, agreements or memorandam of understanding.
8. Support Project Directors in the systematic monitoring of implementation of the work in line with an agreed plan based on proposals approved. This will involve visits where necessary to field sites
9. Ensure that project reports are prepared and submitted in a timely manner.
10. Work closely with the AOR Development Office in planning and managing disbursement of funds commited to various projects in a professional and accountable manner.
11. Work with Project Directors to identify skills and training gaps within teams and coordinate necessary training and workshops in an effort to build capacity, with a particular focus on project cycle management, finance and safeguarding
12. Assist the AOR Director for Development in developing and securing productive working relationships with partners, both local and international.
13. Engage potential donors in South Sudan with an attempt to expand the funding base for Jesuit works.
14. Attend the most important security and other co-ordination meeting which may be of interest for Jesuit work in South Sudan
15. Continue and nurture the working relationship with JRS South Sudan
16. Support the works in South Sudan in their effort to realize their strategic goals and in view of the overall Province Apostolic Plan.
17. Take additional related duties as will be advised by the AOR Development Office.
At least an undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Social sciences, development studies, Business studies, etc).
Skills and Experience Desired:
• Extensive experience of Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation of projects.
• Excellent skills of writing proposals, funding applications and project reports.
• Ability and confidence to engage potential donors at meeting, relevant fora etc
• Significant passion for humanitarian works and human development initiatives
• An appreciation of Church and/or faith based organisations and values
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Good organisational and problem-solving skills.
• Experience living in rural and conflict areas
How to apply: